Fresno declares August 31 as William Saroyan Day
The Fresno City Council is honoring the life of Fresno born playwright and author William Saroyan. The City Council issued a proclamation declaring Friday August 31, 2018 as William Saroyan Day in the City of Fresno. The honor comes as the Fresno home where Saroyan spent the final 17 years of his life is about to open as a museum.
The foundation based in Armenia that bought the home in 2016 says at one point city officials wanted to move the house to downtown Fresno. But they say it was important to keep it in the neighborhood where Saroyan lived and breathed.
"William Saroyan has walked there, he has ridden his bicycle there, he has lived there, he has communicated with his neighbors there, he has written some of his works there. So, I feel this energy when I'm there," says Hakob Hakobyan of the Intellectual Renaissance Foundation.
The grand opening and ribbon cutting at the William Saroyan House Museum is Friday, August 31. which will be followed with a public celebration at the Satellite Student Union at Fresno State.
- Artsakh is offered to go on the path of voluntarily destroying its own statehood: David Babayan
- NYT: Explosive Device Found in Mailbox at George Soros’s Westchester County Home
- China opens world’s longest sea-crossing bridge
- Obama takes credit for Trump's 'economic miracles'
- Levon Aronian leads in Isle of Man International
- Armenian weightlifter Grigoryan wins silver in Junior European C’ship
- Putin, Erdogan to meet on sidelines of summit on Syria
- Surveillance footage shows Saudi 'body double' in Khashoggi's clothes after he was killed
- NASA posted a photo of a nearly perfect rectangular iceberg, and it's so satisfying to look at
- ¿Habrá una reunión Trump-Aliyev?
- Russia and US may jointly address nuclear deterrence issues, says Russia defense chief
- Vahe Grigoryan does not believe in the Constitutional Court transformation with the current composition of judges
- Ukraine launches complaint against Armenia and Kyrgyzstan at WTO
- Yelk, Tsarukyan factions start petition to re-introduce electoral code bill in special session of parliament
- Armen Sarkissian attends opening of World Investment Forum 2018 in Geneva
- Parliament session kicks off – LIVE
- EAEU countries discussed cooperation issues in Yerevan
- Armenia Enters Uncharted Course of Democracy
- Assimilation of Armenians is taking place in Lebanon: Arman Navasardyan
- International chess tournament TSAGHKADZOR-OPEN kicks off
- Eurasian Economic Week in Yerevan
- Short and light rain is possible in Yerevan
- Acting defense minister Tonoyan, Rudy Giuliani exchange views on a number of regional and international issues
- NSS has not taken any action against Movsisyan's brothers: Samson Galstyan
- Recipe Corner: Rice, Shrimp and Spinach Salad