New tension in Syria-Israel relations
The destruction of the Israeli military aircraft by the Syrian air defense recently exacerbated the already strained bilateral relations between these countries. Since the very first days of the war in Syria, Israel has taken an ambiguous position with regard to the Syrian legitimate authorities, as well as to the issue of Damascus struggle with terrorist groups, especially the "Islamic State". The Israeli air force periodically invaded Syria, striking at positions of official forces fighting terrorists. Such a strategy was condemned by the world community, but not by official organizations.
Let us also note that these attacks and strikes on targets were carried out with the consent of international military blocs, both Russian and American. This one fact explains why these attacks were not awarded serious counter-attacks by the Syrian armed forces. Among the goals of the Israeli Air Force were also the positions of the Shiite, pro-Iranian group Hezbollah, which, as it is known, actively participates in military operations in Syria and, together with the Syrian army, is also fighting against terrorist groups and this struggle is quite effective.
Consequently, Israeli air strikes against major ground forces fighting terrorism have always been assessed as attempts to support terrorists and prevent their early defeat, thus delaying the war in Syria. By the way, Turkey is guided by the same logic, trying to keep its southern neighbor in the condition of uncertainty, expectation and protracted war as long as possible. This explains the desire of the Turkish troops to invade Kurdish-inhabited Afrin. The reason for such a policy lies in the defeat of the terrorists operating in Syria - the "Islamic state", which gives us hope that sooner or later this country will manage to establish peace.
However, such a situation is not beneficial to many who receive political and economic benefits from this war. This is reflected in the actions of Turkish officials enriched by the sale of Syrian oil, and especially in the actions of the family members of Turkish President Erdogan, who, in fact, directly organize and direct the Turkish invasion of the northern provinces of Syria.
In the current situation, perhaps, the Syrian legitimate authorities have the right to protect the air borders of their state and not allow the invasion of these forces. Destruction of the Israeli F-16 aircraft can have a sobering effect on this state and make it refrain from further similar actions. However, the reverse scenario is also possible, in which official Tel Aviv can increase the pressure and intensity of strikes without using air forces.
Author: Armen Manvelyan, Candidate of Historical Sciences
- Recipe Corner: Red Cabbage and Carrot Salad with Cranberries
- An Afternoon of History and Collaboration: Armenian MIrror-Spectator
- Archbishop Aykazian as Part of Delegation Meets With Cuban Leaders, Iranian Foreign Minister
- Kocharyan willing to support the active formation of balance in the political system
- Pope Francis may pay visit to North Korea next spring
- International Contemporary Art Exhibition in Yerevan
- French company eyes building resort in Armenia
- Russian border guards apprehend trespasser on Armenian-Turkish border
- Armenian side prevents Azerbaijan’s attempts to include wording on Metsamor’s suspension in Nuclear Security resolution
- Cher flaunts age-defying physique ahead of Australian tour
- Minor earthquake detected in Armenia’s south
- Trump: Climate change scientists have agenda
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan to attend Eastern Partnership Foreign Ministers meeting in Luxembourg
- Feast of the Holy Translators
- Russia-Belarus cooperation as a union state
- I have special attitude towards Artsakh and Stepanakert:Hayk Marutyan
- Henceforth monitoring of human rights to be held in Artsakh
- My Handmade Armenia festival
- On October 13-18 no precipitation is predicted.
- Bridge of Health Guyn Gala Helps Give Children Battling Cancer a Fighting Chance
- Dr. Ümit Kurt to speak on “Proactive Local Perpetrators: Mehmet Yasin (Sani Kutlug) and Ali Cenani” at Fresno State
- Azerbaijani ceasefire violation incidents decrease, says Artsakh
- Trudeau and Sarkissian discuss developing ties, expanding cooperation
- Recipe Corner: Cream of Cauliflower and Leek Soup
- Brigitte Macron: this is an extra ordinal welcome which we will remember for a long time