Recipe Corner: Cream of Cauliflower and Leek Soup
1 large head cauliflower, washed, cut into florets or roughly chopped
6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups whole milk or half and half or heavy cream (to taste)
1 cup chopped leeks, white and light green parts only, washed well.
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
2 medium stalks celery (and tops), diced
1 large baking potato, boiled and mashed (remove skin)
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, tarragon, and paprika to taste
2-3 tablespoons flour
3-4 tablespoons butter
Dash of red pepper (to taste)
Dried or fresh parsley, minced
In a large pot, steam cauliflower until done. Drain well. Cut away excess stock. Coarsely mash or put in blender. Drain again and set aside.
In the same pot, sauté leeks, carrots, celery, and garlic in 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil for a few minutes until onions are translucent. Toss flour over this mixture and stir.
Add milk (or cream), broth and butter and cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, until bubbling, stirring. Add the mashed cauliflower and potato, stir, and bring to light boil.
Add seasonings (to taste), bouillon cube, and more milk (or cream), if desired. Cook on medium heat for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Watch not to over boil.
At this point, using a hand blender, blend soup until medium smooth and stir again.
Add more salt or pepper, if desired, and serve.
Garnish with parsley, pepper and sour cream, and drizzle with olive oil, if desired.
*Can be stored in refrigerator in glass for up to one week. Makes half gallon.
The Armenian Mirror-Spectator
- Artsakh is offered to go on the path of voluntarily destroying its own statehood: David Babayan
- NYT: Explosive Device Found in Mailbox at George Soros’s Westchester County Home
- China opens world’s longest sea-crossing bridge
- Obama takes credit for Trump's 'economic miracles'
- Levon Aronian leads in Isle of Man International
- Armenian weightlifter Grigoryan wins silver in Junior European C’ship
- Putin, Erdogan to meet on sidelines of summit on Syria
- Surveillance footage shows Saudi 'body double' in Khashoggi's clothes after he was killed
- NASA posted a photo of a nearly perfect rectangular iceberg, and it's so satisfying to look at
- ¿Habrá una reunión Trump-Aliyev?
- Russia and US may jointly address nuclear deterrence issues, says Russia defense chief
- Vahe Grigoryan does not believe in the Constitutional Court transformation with the current composition of judges
- Ukraine launches complaint against Armenia and Kyrgyzstan at WTO
- Yelk, Tsarukyan factions start petition to re-introduce electoral code bill in special session of parliament
- Armen Sarkissian attends opening of World Investment Forum 2018 in Geneva
- Parliament session kicks off – LIVE
- EAEU countries discussed cooperation issues in Yerevan
- Armenia Enters Uncharted Course of Democracy
- Assimilation of Armenians is taking place in Lebanon: Arman Navasardyan
- International chess tournament TSAGHKADZOR-OPEN kicks off
- Eurasian Economic Week in Yerevan
- Short and light rain is possible in Yerevan
- Acting defense minister Tonoyan, Rudy Giuliani exchange views on a number of regional and international issues
- NSS has not taken any action against Movsisyan's brothers: Samson Galstyan
- Recipe Corner: Rice, Shrimp and Spinach Salad