8 residents of Los Angeles' San Fernando valley arrested in check-kiting scheme that allegedly defrauded banks out of nearly $1.5 million
Federal authorities this morning arrested eight people named in a federal grand jury indictment that alleges check-kiting schemes that used hundreds of altered Armenian passports to fraudulently open bank accounts and steal nearly $1.5 million from Bank of America and Wells Fargo. A ninth defendant in this case is currently being sought by authorities.
The investigation led by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) found that the defendants obtained genuine Armenian passports issued to other people, altered the passports to include the photos of the defendants, and used the fraudulent documents to obtain other identity documents and to open bank accounts at the victim banks.
The 36-count indictment unsealed today alleges that the defendants used the bank accounts, which were opened in the names that appeared on the altered passports, to write bad checks to other fraudulently obtained bank accounts. The defendants allegedly exploited bank rules that allowed them to transfer money from one account to another, and then to immediately withdraw funds at ATMs in Las Vegas casinos and other locations before the checks bounced.
The indictment alleges that the defendants used 331 fraudulently altered Armenian passports to steal, or attempt to steal, $1,556,336 from Bank of America. They actually obtained approximately $1.12 million.
Three of the defendants were also charged with perpetrating a similar fraud scheme against Wells Fargo that resulted in a loss of approximately $370,000.
The defendants arrested this morning are:
- Ara Malkhasyan, 48, of Winnetka;
- Smbat Khechumyan, 38, of North Hollywood;
- Sveta Khechumyan, 45, of Winnetka, who is Smbat’s sister and the wife of Malkhasyan;
- Harutyun Petrosyants, 30, of Van Nuys;
- Artur Harutyunyan, 34, of Encino;
- Khachatur Chobanyan, 38 of Van Nuys;
- Jivan Hakhnazaryan, 49, of Van Nuys; and
- Arman Grigoryan, 37, of North Hollywood.
The ninth defendant in this case – Artak Okhoyan, 29, of Burbank – has agreed through his attorney to surrender to federal authorities tomorrow.
The defendants arrested today are expected to be arraigned on the indictment this afternoon in U.S. District Court in downtown Los Angeles.
The indictment charges all of the defendants with conspiracy to commit bank fraud, a charge that carries a statutory maximum penalty of 30 years in federal prison. Additionally, all of the defendants are charged in at least one substantive count of bank fraud and aggravated identity theft.
During this investigation, HSI received substantial assistance from the Los Angeles Police Department and he Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
This matter is being prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney, Central District of California’s Major Frauds and General Crimes Sections.
- Syrian Restaurants in Armenia: A Pinch of Home, A Taste of Exile
- First-ever Armenian-language TV station launches in Turkey
- Аwards ceremony for the winners of 2018/2019 season was held
- Exiled Turkish journalist reunited with family in Germany after 3 years
- Karabakh President visits Askeran, Martakert Regions
- Apple registers 7 Mac notebooks in Eurasian database
- Recipe Corner: Guest Recipe: Baked Spinach and Eggs (Havgitov Spanach)
- Everything you should know about proper nutrition and healthy lifestyle: Lidia Ayvazyan is the guest of Hay Dzayn Today
- Minsk 2019: Lineup of the Armenia Greco-Roman wrestling team
- Pashinyan Faces Traps in and out of Armenia: Armenian Mirror-Spectator
- Yerevan-Tehran roundtrip regular flights launched on June 15
- Yervand Kochar's most famous sculptures
- President Sarkissian congratulated China’s Xi Jinping on birthday
- Armenia's Levon Aronian shares 2nd-3rd spots at Norway Chess
- Today is Republic of Armenia National Flag Day
- 7th Pan-Armenian Summer Games’ torch heads from Turkey’s Van to Karabakh’s Stepanakert
- Today is Armenian prominent sculptor Ervand Kochar’s birthday
- Journalist Deniz Yücel Speaks Out on Arrest in Turkey
- Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon Panossian Gives Kids Smiles in Armenia
- Interview with President Armen Sarkissian: Financial Times of London
- The air temperature will not essentially change
- BMW 8 Series Gran Coupe Leaks То Preview Stunning 6 Series GC Successor
- Vardenis “Andranik” FC won in Armenian youth championship (photos)
- Armenia improves standing in Global Peace Index
- EU will extend Russia sanctions for another year