Today is birthday of the Armenian national liberation movement famous leader Mkrtich Avetisyan
Today is the birthday of the leader of the Armenian national liberation movement Mkrtich Avetisyan. Mkrtich Avetisyan was born in 1864 in the city of Van. he was the leader of the Armenian national liberation movement, as well as one of the founders of the Armenakan organization.
He studied at home in the Armenian schools of Van, was a student of Mkrtich Portugalyan, later became his ideological follower. Avetisyan was engaged in teaching activities.
In 1885, he took part in the founding of a secret revolutionary organization in Van, which shared the ideas of the "Armenia" newspaper published in Marseilles by M. Portugalyan.
Fleeing persecution from the Turkish authorities, Avetisyan moved to Salmast (Iran), where he opened Armenian schools in a number of villages, then to the Caucasus and Constantinople. Here in 1889 he was arrested, exiled to Tripoli, but he fled, arrived in Marseille, where he began to cooperate in the "Armenia" newspaper.
In 1890 published the book "Armenians of Turkey and their neighbors". In subsequent years, he was an inspector of Armenian schools of Salmast, Urmia, Khoy (Iran).
In 1894, as a correspondent for the newspaper "Armenia", he was part of the mission of Mkrtich Khrimyan, who was negotiating with the Russian Tsar in St. Petersburg.
In 1896 he took an active part in the leadership of Van's self-defense. Under the onslaught of the Turks, the defenders took refuge in the monastery of Varaga. Avetisyan with his fighters (about 1000 people) decided to move to Iran, but was surrounded by Turkish troops and Kurdish forces at the monastery of St. Bartholomew. Not wanting to surrender, Avetisyan fought to the last opportunity and fell in the battle in 1896.
In the issue of the national liberation struggle of the Armenian people, Avetisyan urged to avoid ostentatious, inflammatory actions, not to pin hopes on the help of European countries, to rely on their own strength, to carefully prepare people for self-defense.
- We and the portrait of Dorian Gray
- Syrian-Armenian artist Kevork Mourad to create six-meter hanging sculpture of Babel
- Prevention of genocide remains challenged, Armenia tells UN
- Real offer 130 million euros for Neymar ... plus Rodriguez or Bale
- Study shows vacation is good for the heart
- An Armenian's feat in Brest Fortress defense: Russian Defense Ministry's archive materials
- Armenia announces call for applications for Junior Eurovision 2019
- Armenia to hold international festival on Tigran Mansuryan's 80th birthday
- Armenian President meets famous American theoretical physicist, Nobel laureate Kip Thorn in Zurich
- The first in the history Talysh library to open in YSU
- Topics of the talks between Putin and Trump at G20 summit announced
- Delegation led by defense minister participates in Army 2019 International Military- Technical Forum in Russia
- Iranian Foreign Ministry: US forever closed the path of diplomacy
- President proposes to hold 6th STARMUS Festival in Armenia
- Armenia national detained during Tbilisi demonstrations is released
- Armenia has it all: Rosturizm on alternative to Georgia
- Azerbaijani FM’s claims are of non-constructive nature and devalue the seriousness of the peace process: MFA spokesperson
- Winter Olympics 2026 to be held in Italy
- US announced sanctions against Iranian FM
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan's speech at 41st session of UN Human Rights Council
- President of Artsakh holds consultation on establishment of Investigation Committee
- Armenia Defense Ministry, Hi-Tech Cyber Security Center launch contest
- ADL and ARFD members held an inter-party meeting
- Opening of Charles Aznavour square in Chaville (PHOTOS)
- Three habits increasing risk of cancer