Today is Artsakh Hero Arkady Ter-Tadevosyan's birthday
Arkady Ter-Tadevosyan, also known by the troops under his command as Komandos is a Soviet and Armenian Major General, a military leader of the Armenian forces during the Nagorno-Karabakh War and Armenia's former Deputy Minister of Defense. Ter-Tadevosyan is best known as being the commander of the operation to capture the town of Shushi in May 1992.
Ter-Tadevosyan was born on May 22, 1939 in Tbilisi, Georgian SSR. After graduating from a high school in Tbilisi, he decided to become an officer. He attended the Baku Combined Arms Command School and later Leningrad Military Academy of Rear Services and Transportation. He served in Afghanistanwhere he earned the nickname, Mountain Fox. He continued his military service in East Germany, Czechoslovakia and Belarus, and also served as a lecturer at the Armenian State Agrarian University. With the breakup of the Soviet Union and the brewing conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh, Ter-Tadevosyan took part in organizing in 1990 the defense of Armenian villages straddling the borders of Soviet Azerbaijan. He joined the Sasuntsi Davit Detachment to defend villages from constant attacks launched by Azerbaijani militants.
Thereafter, he went to Nagorno-Karabakh to train soldiers. Ter-Tadevosyan was appointed Head of Training Corps Defense Committee in 1991. In 1992 he was named commander of the operation (dubbed Wedding in Mountains) to seize the strategic town of Shushi, the capture of which in May 1992 marked the first significant military victory by Armenian forces during the Nagorno-Karabakh War. Ter-Tadevosyan is known in Armenia as the "mastermind of Shushi liberation". He participated in the formation of the Armenian armed forces and assisted it to overcome significant challenges before it could emerge as a well-developed institution. On 25 May 1992, Ter-Tadevosyan was awarded the rank of Major General for his accomplishments during the Nagorno-Karabakh War. He also received the Order of the Combat Cross (1st class).
In May 2000, Ter-Tadevosyan left the Yerkrapah veterans union and founded the Veterans of the War of Liberation organization, although he left it in July of that year, expressing personal grievances about those who had joined it.
The President of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, Bako Sahakyan, awarded him with the Order of the Golden Eagle and the title of Hero of Artsakh on the 17th anniversary of the Capture of Shushi in 2009. The region continues to hold much meaning to Ter-Tadevosyan, who spends at least one week each month there.
Ter-Tadevosyan is currently supervising the training of specialists in the Armenian armed forces.
- On July 24-26 the air temperature will go down by 4-5 degrees
- Widespread blackout hits Venezuela
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan will pay an official visit to Georgia
- Boris Johnson to become next UK prime minister
- Mkhitaryan shares video advertising Adidas in Armenian
- Armenian government budget revenue grows 24.7% in 1st Q 2019
- Tokyo 2020 staff and volunteers uniforms unveiled
- President Sarkissian signs a number of laws adopted by Parliament
- London needs to understand that Tehran does not seek confrontation — Zarif
- World Whale and Dolphin Day
- 5.4 magnitude quake hits southern Iran
- Armenian combat engineers clear mines on over 8,500 sq m of Syrian territory
- Zareh Sinanyan met with Abel Aghanbekyan, Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- On July 26-27 the air temperature will go down by 3-4 degrees
- Britain weighs response to Iran Gulf crisis with few good options
- Most harmful to tooth enamel drinks named
- Discovering Armenia: Surp Astvatsatsin Church of Karbi (photos)
- EU pledges "multi-million support" to help revamp Armenia's judiciary
- Tekeyan Cultural Association, Inc. Dr. Nubar Berberian Annual Awards
- Cavusoglu says Turkey is ready for new operation in Syria
- Increased danger level declared in France due to heat
- Ambassador Świtalski reaffirms EU’s position on NK conflict settlement
- Shot fired from Azerbaijani side in Nakhchivan section was not targeted: Armenia Defense Minister
- Zelensky's party set for big win in parliamentary elections
- Armenia must continue efforts for visa-free regime with EU: Switalski