Today is Armenian outstanding playwright Gabriel Sundukyan’s birthday
Today is Armenian outstanding writer and playwright Gabriel Sundukyan’s birthday, who is considered one of the founders of critical realism in Armenian literature.
Gabriel Sundukyan was born on July 11, 1825 in Tiflis. In 1846-1850, he studied at the oriental branch of the History and Philology Faculty of St. Petersburg University. He graduated with a degree of candidate of Oriental languages and in 1850, was appointed to the post of translator to the office of the Tsar’s governor in the Caucasus.
For his progressive views, he was soon dismissed from service and exiled to the city of Derbent.
In 1858, Sundukyan returned to Tiflis and devoted himself to dramaturgy, the development of the national Armenian theater. In 1863 he wrote the first play, the merry vaudeville "Sneezing at Night's Good Luck".
He was followed by a number of witty, vividly written plays, to this day enjoying great success.
In 1870, Gabriel Sundukyan published a comedy (as the author called it) - in fact a social drama "Pepo". This work put Sundukyan in the ranks of the greatest masters of drama.
The author himself translated the play into Georgian, it was first put in Kutaisi, and then in Tiflis.
Sundukyan often acted as the producer of his plays. He was one of the active builders of the new Armenian theater in the 1860s. In 1879-82, he was a member of the leaders of the Armenian Theater in Tiflis.
Gabriel Sundukyan died on March 29, 1912 in Tiflis.
- Fish Cutlets Recipe
- Much of the world will be able to see a partial lunar eclipse
- Zelensky intends to replace ambassadors in Armenia, US and Vatican
- Over the next 5 days, a high risk of fire is predicted in the valleys and foothills of the Republic
- Exhibition of Armenian Old Printed Books
- S-400 systems pose no threat to NATO, Turkish top diplomat says
- Armenian Speaker of Parliament touches upon sanctions on Iran during discussion in US
- 6.1 magnitude quake strikes south of Indonesia’s Bali
- Armenia FM to pay working visit to US
- Council of Europe to assist Armenia in revising national youth strategy
- President of Artsakh chairs Cabinet meeting
- Interdepartmental Committee on Development of Armenian National Security Strategy created
- Armenian Ambassador Tigran Mkrtchyan’s interview published at The Baltic Times
- Greece leads ranking of "Best islands of Europe" according to Travel and Leisure magazine
- Pakistan re-opens airspace for civil aviation
- Europe to choose best young athlete
- Aeroflot Magazine devoted pages to Armenia
- Armenian PM’s wife attends charity performance in Yerevan Puppet Theatre
- Erdogan announced Turkey’s plans to establish joint production of air defense systems with Russia
- PM Pashinyan’s spokesperson comments on Venice Commission protocol
- Ryanair, WizzAir “ready to fly to Armenia if departure tax is dropped”
- Ambassador: Russia respects events underway in Armenia
- Arshak Chopanyan and issues of ancient Armenian literature
- Nutritionist shares top 5 tips to lose weight
- President Sarkissian visits Megerian Carpet in Yerevan