Cadence Ensemble Performed Gomidas and Other Armenian Works in Washington (video)
WASHINGTON – The Cadence Ensemble performed in Washington D. C. on May 8 at the Duke Ellington School of Arts under the sponsorship of the Armenians Worldwide Association and under the auspices of the Embassy of the Republic of Armenia to the United States on the occasion of the 150thanniversary of the birth of Gomidas Vartabed. This video piece by Mirror correspondent Haykaram Nahapetyan includes an excerpt from its performance as well as interviews with Nika Babayan, the general manager of Cadence, as well as audience member Bilal of Pakistan, who has many Armenian friends.
During the first half of the month of May, the Armenian Cadence Ensemble held concerts in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, Fresno and Las Vegas. The Cadence Ensemble was formed in February 2004 initially to perform the works of Argentine composer Astor Piazzolla. Its first international concert took place in 2005 in Argentina. Ever since then, the Armenian music group has performed in France, Belgium, U.K., Russia, Ukraine, Lebanon, China, Greece, Cyprus, Canada and many other places and participated in international music festivals. In 2014 Cadence participated in the celebration of the 300th anniversary of Sayat Nova in Tbilisi (Georgia) and the Cultural Days of Armenia in Israel.
The Cadence Ensemble was formed by five Armenian instrumentalists: Hakob Jaghatspanyan (guitar), Varazdat Khachumyan (violin), Meruzhan Yeganyan (accordion), Sofi Mikayelyan (piano) and Gurgen Amiryan (contrabass).
Source: Armenian Mirror-Spectator
- Celebrating Komitas’ 150th Anniversary in Washington
- On June 23-24 the air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees
- How Modern Literary Publication Is Being Revived in Armenia
- Hundreds Gather in Oakland to Honor Lifelong Athletic Visionary and Leader, Richard Demirjian
- Russian Envoy Warned After Meeting With Kocharyan
- Tehran says Iran, Russia will bolster economic cooperation
- Trump officially announced his decision to run for a second term
- NSS, FFA boss personally shows Vicente del Bosque around Yerevan
- Japanese authorities leave ticket resellers “unemployed”
- Talking about Peace, Worrying about War
- US National Security Adviser John Bolton to meet Armenian, Azerbaijani FMs in Washington D.C.
- Armenia included in Top 5 most delicious countries for Russians
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs meet in Washington D.C. ahead of NK talks
- RA Parliament session continues (live)
- Today is World Sauntering Day
- UN Secretary-General urged not to waste a minute in addressing climate crisis
- Short-term rain and thunderstorm is expected
- Trump says U.S. agency will begin removing millions of illegal immigrants: Reuters
- U.S. says could sanction Turkish defense firms beyond F-35 suppliers: Reuters
- Leonard Cohen love letters fetch $876,000 at auction
- Qualifying stage of "K-pop World Festival 2019 in Armenia" was held in Yerevan
- Tokyo 2020 medal podiums to be made of recycled plastic
- Center for Armenian journalist Dink's memory opened in Istanbul
- Ex-head of UEFA Platini arrested
- Recipe Corner: Fresh Sautéed Spinach and Vegetable Salad