Chaarat Gold in talks to buy Armenian mine from Russia’s Polymetal
Chaarat Gold, the Aim-listed gold explorer, is in talks to buy the Kapan gold mine in Armenia from Russia’s Polymetal, in its latest effort to expand through acquisitions.
The mine, which Polymetal acquired in 2016, produced 50,000 ounces of gold last year, making a profit of $20m before taxes.
Chaarat, which is based in Kyrgyzstan, has said it wants to build a “leading Central Asia” gold company through acquisitions, targeting 1m ounces of annual production. In May it made an $800m bid for the Kumtor gold mine in Kyrgyzstan from Centerra Gold, which was rejected by the company.
Chaarat is led by Artem Volynet, a former chief executive of Russia’s EN+ and who was appointed deputy chief executive of aluminium producer Rusal in June.
Polymetal said “there is no certainty that a transaction will be agreed.”
Chaarat said in a statement that “should agreement be reached, the company plans to sign the sale and purchase agreement as soon as practicable.”
Shares in Chaarat have risen by 6 per cent this year to 24.15p. The company is looking to raise $50m from a convertible bond sale.
- Armenian parliament approves 2018 budget implementation report
- On June 23-25 the air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- China President arrives in North Korea for first time in 14 years
- Boxer Hovhannes Bachkov to be Armenia’s flag-bearer at 2nd European Games inauguration ceremony
- Armenia uses space imaging to map Lake Sevan shore waste cleaning plan
- Pentagon to send Patriot systems, drones and surveillance planes to Middle East
- Samsung to reportedly launch Galaxy Note 10 on Aug. 7
- Constitutional Court President receives Russian Ambassador to Armenia
- YouTube, Universal team up to remaster old iconic music videos
- Iran’s IRGC force shoots down intruding US spy drone
- Trump confirms will meet with Russia’s Putin during G20 summit
- Armenian FM meets US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs in Washington D.C.
- Iran claims to have downed American UAV
- Celebrating Komitas’ 150th Anniversary in Washington
- On June 23-24 the air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees
- How Modern Literary Publication Is Being Revived in Armenia
- Hundreds Gather in Oakland to Honor Lifelong Athletic Visionary and Leader, Richard Demirjian
- Russian Envoy Warned After Meeting With Kocharyan
- Tehran says Iran, Russia will bolster economic cooperation
- Trump officially announced his decision to run for a second term
- NSS, FFA boss personally shows Vicente del Bosque around Yerevan
- Japanese authorities leave ticket resellers “unemployed”
- Talking about Peace, Worrying about War
- US National Security Adviser John Bolton to meet Armenian, Azerbaijani FMs in Washington D.C.
- Armenia included in Top 5 most delicious countries for Russians