Istanbul mayor elections might be be canceled: Erdogan
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says recent election results in Istanbul should be annulled over irregularities that include the alleged unlawful appointment of some officials overseeing the ballot boxes.
Speaking to reporters on his return from a trip to Moscow, Erdogan said his ruling party would continue to use its right to appeal and would track alleged irregularities "until the end."
Erdogan said people who are not civil servants unlawfully headed ballot boxes in some areas.
His remarks were published by pro-government Yeni Safak newspaper on Wednesday.
Erdogan's party suffered a major setback in the country's March 31 local elections. Opposition candidates won in Turkey's capital, Ankara, and squeezed out Erdogan's party in Istanbul.
The party says it plans to seek a re-run of the Istanbul vote due to irregularities.
The Public's Radio
- Russian Envoy Warned After Meeting With Kocharyan NEW 14 MINUTES AGO
- Tehran says Iran, Russia will bolster economic cooperation
- Trump officially announced his decision to run for a second term
- NSS, FFA boss personally shows Vicente del Bosque around Yerevan
- Japanese authorities leave ticket resellers “unemployed”
- Talking about Peace, Worrying about War
- US National Security Adviser John Bolton to meet Armenian, Azerbaijani FMs in Washington D.C.
- Armenia included in Top 5 most delicious countries for Russians
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs meet in Washington D.C. ahead of NK talks
- RA Parliament session continues (live)
- Today is World Sauntering Day
- UN Secretary-General urged not to waste a minute in addressing climate crisis
- Short-term rain and thunderstorm is expected
- Trump says U.S. agency will begin removing millions of illegal immigrants: Reuters
- U.S. says could sanction Turkish defense firms beyond F-35 suppliers: Reuters
- Leonard Cohen love letters fetch $876,000 at auction
- Qualifying stage of "K-pop World Festival 2019 in Armenia" was held in Yerevan
- Tokyo 2020 medal podiums to be made of recycled plastic
- Center for Armenian journalist Dink's memory opened in Istanbul
- Ex-head of UEFA Platini arrested
- Recipe Corner: Fresh Sautéed Spinach and Vegetable Salad
- I will no longer manage to duly fulfill the job of delegation leader at EuroNest: Mkhitar Hayrapetyan
- Postcard dedicated to Council of Europe cancelled in Armenia
- Artur Hovhannisyan filled in vacated seat in parliament
- Yerevan hosts annual meeting of Hayastan All-Armenian Fund Board of Trustees