What is Mammaddyarov looking for in South America?
Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov went on a working visit to South America.
According to the official report, the Minister will visit Chile, Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay. The purpose of the visit is to participate in the upcoming so-called UN High-Level Conference on South-South Cooperation in Buenos Aires.
Azerbaijan has no traditional ties with the countries of South America. These relations have been formed over the past two decades and often have a purely protocol character. The level of economic and, especially, cultural contacts is rather low. In this context, Mammadyarov’s tour of South America is a rather remarkable phenomenon and proves that Azerbaijan is seeking new interests in the Western Hemisphere.
Of course, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan could not publish the entire work schedule. But even without this, it is clear that he would not have covered such a long way just for the sake of participation in the conference. The impression is that Azerbaijan intends to feel the mood prevailing in South America, especially the two countries - Argentina and Uruguay. It is no secret that rather influential Armenian communities live in these countries.
Uruguay was the first in the world to recognize the Armenian Genocide. Several years ago, when the parliamentary delegation of Uruguay visited Artsakh, the Azerbaijani side was quite disturbed.
This visit was important because the Uruguayan parliamentarians determined the prospects for the Karabakh settlement by unconditional respect for the right to self-determination. It is difficult to say what are the current moods in the political and government circles of Uruguay on this issue. The same is the case with Argentina.
Nevertheless, if the Azerbaijani Foreign Minister intends to meet with relevant officials of these countries, there is no doubt the topic of Nagorno-Karabakh will be discussed during this period.
Naturally, Mammadyarov will repeat the same that official Baku constantly repeats in interstate relations and at all international platforms. However, this is only one side of the coin. It is much more interesting to know if Azerbaijan really has information that, for example, in the NKR issue, Uruguay intends to take certain steps. Mammadyarov went to this country in order to convince political circles?
What is the Foreign Minister of Azerbaijan looking for in South America?
This is not a rhetorical question at all. It would be logical if the Armenian side takes the appropriate preventive measures, moreover, both through diplomatic channels and through the Armenian community structures of Uruguay and Argentina. That is, it is necessary to do everything possible so that the Azerbaijani comments on the Karabakh issue are not spread, instead, the approach of Uruguayan parliamentarians voiced several years ago, according to which the Karabakh settlement should be based on the right to self-determination, is reinforced.
The outcome of the visit of the Foreign Minister of Azerbaijan will depend on the ongoing efforts of the Armenian side to counter.
In any case, one thing is clear, Azerbaijan has set itself the task, at least, to counteract and, if possible, completely neutralize the influence of the Armenian community in South America, in particular - in Uruguay and Argentina.
We can only wait for what will be the coordinated opposition of the Armenian diplomacy, and especially the Armenian Diaspora.
- Fish Cutlets Recipe
- Much of the world will be able to see a partial lunar eclipse
- Zelensky intends to replace ambassadors in Armenia, US and Vatican
- Over the next 5 days, a high risk of fire is predicted in the valleys and foothills of the Republic
- Exhibition of Armenian Old Printed Books
- S-400 systems pose no threat to NATO, Turkish top diplomat says
- Armenian Speaker of Parliament touches upon sanctions on Iran during discussion in US
- 6.1 magnitude quake strikes south of Indonesia’s Bali
- Armenia FM to pay working visit to US
- Council of Europe to assist Armenia in revising national youth strategy
- President of Artsakh chairs Cabinet meeting
- Interdepartmental Committee on Development of Armenian National Security Strategy created
- Armenian Ambassador Tigran Mkrtchyan’s interview published at The Baltic Times
- Greece leads ranking of "Best islands of Europe" according to Travel and Leisure magazine
- Pakistan re-opens airspace for civil aviation
- Europe to choose best young athlete
- Aeroflot Magazine devoted pages to Armenia
- Armenian PM’s wife attends charity performance in Yerevan Puppet Theatre
- Erdogan announced Turkey’s plans to establish joint production of air defense systems with Russia
- PM Pashinyan’s spokesperson comments on Venice Commission protocol
- Ryanair, WizzAir “ready to fly to Armenia if departure tax is dropped”
- Ambassador: Russia respects events underway in Armenia
- Arshak Chopanyan and issues of ancient Armenian literature
- Nutritionist shares top 5 tips to lose weight
- President Sarkissian visits Megerian Carpet in Yerevan