Zhoghovurd: Why wasn't new CSTO Secretary General elected?
During the yesterday's summit the leaders of CSTO member states failed to answer the burning question, namely which country the next secretary general will represent, Zhoghovurd newspaper writes.
After Yuri Khachaturov was recalled by Armenia, Belarus is claiming for the post and is supported by Kazakhstan. However, Russia, which has a decisive role, has not voiced a clear position yet.
Anyhow, the decisions are made collectively, and if any of the members vetoes one of the options, there will be no decision.
“Meanwhile, the 17th provision of the CSTO regulations says the Secretary General is appointed by the decision of the council and for a three-year term.
And, since CSTO presidency passed to Armenia, not Yuri Khachaturov, for three years, the replacement of the secretary general does not have to affect the country. And from legal viewpoint Armenia is definitely right, but there are still political nuances,” the daily writes.
- Today is the Armenian cinema founder Hamo Beknazarian’s birthday
- Primate Findikyan Refocuses Direction of Eastern Diocese, Assembly Covers Wide-ranging Issues
- Recipe Corner: Faloodeh or Paludeh ye Shirazi
- Trump may replace Green Card with "Build America" visa
- Syrian air defenses "activated over suspected Israeli airstrikes"
- Court orders release of ex-President Robert Kocharyan
- IMF OKs $250 mln stand-by arrangement for Armenia
- Risks and danger of high cholesterol levels
- Cadence Ensemble Performed Gomidas and Other Armenian Works in Washington (video)
- Europe Day events in Armenia will culminate in Yerevan on May 26
- Oil Prices Down
- Yerevan subway to operate on heightened mode today
- Vigil and Commemoration in Berlin
- Today is International Museum Day
- A Year after the Velvet Revolution
- In the daytime of May 17 the air temperature will increase by 1-2 degrees
- Armenia, Iraq joining forces to curb terrorists’ use of high techs
- Pashinyan intends to meet with Putin at SPIEF-2019
- Various events to be held in Matenadaran within Museum Day
- Chinese FM to visit Armenia
- Political prisoner Sevan Nisanyan granted Armenian citizenship two years after escaping Turkish prison
- US cuts Turkish steel tariffs by half to 25% : FT
- Belarusian cultural delegation visits Armenian Genocide Memorial in Yerevan
- Olympic future of boxing to be decided on May 22
- Armenian, Russian parliamentarians discuss bilateral military-political cooperation in Yerevan