Zhoghovurd: Why wasn't new CSTO Secretary General elected?
During the yesterday's summit the leaders of CSTO member states failed to answer the burning question, namely which country the next secretary general will represent, Zhoghovurd newspaper writes.
After Yuri Khachaturov was recalled by Armenia, Belarus is claiming for the post and is supported by Kazakhstan. However, Russia, which has a decisive role, has not voiced a clear position yet.
Anyhow, the decisions are made collectively, and if any of the members vetoes one of the options, there will be no decision.
“Meanwhile, the 17th provision of the CSTO regulations says the Secretary General is appointed by the decision of the council and for a three-year term.
And, since CSTO presidency passed to Armenia, not Yuri Khachaturov, for three years, the replacement of the secretary general does not have to affect the country. And from legal viewpoint Armenia is definitely right, but there are still political nuances,” the daily writes.
- Russian Envoy Warned After Meeting With Kocharyan NEW 10 MINUTES AGO
- Tehran says Iran, Russia will bolster economic cooperation
- Trump officially announced his decision to run for a second term
- NSS, FFA boss personally shows Vicente del Bosque around Yerevan
- Japanese authorities leave ticket resellers “unemployed”
- Talking about Peace, Worrying about War
- US National Security Adviser John Bolton to meet Armenian, Azerbaijani FMs in Washington D.C.
- Armenia included in Top 5 most delicious countries for Russians
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs meet in Washington D.C. ahead of NK talks
- RA Parliament session continues (live)
- Today is World Sauntering Day
- UN Secretary-General urged not to waste a minute in addressing climate crisis
- Short-term rain and thunderstorm is expected
- Trump says U.S. agency will begin removing millions of illegal immigrants: Reuters
- U.S. says could sanction Turkish defense firms beyond F-35 suppliers: Reuters
- Leonard Cohen love letters fetch $876,000 at auction
- Qualifying stage of "K-pop World Festival 2019 in Armenia" was held in Yerevan
- Tokyo 2020 medal podiums to be made of recycled plastic
- Center for Armenian journalist Dink's memory opened in Istanbul
- Ex-head of UEFA Platini arrested
- Recipe Corner: Fresh Sautéed Spinach and Vegetable Salad
- I will no longer manage to duly fulfill the job of delegation leader at EuroNest: Mkhitar Hayrapetyan
- Postcard dedicated to Council of Europe cancelled in Armenia
- Artur Hovhannisyan filled in vacated seat in parliament
- Yerevan hosts annual meeting of Hayastan All-Armenian Fund Board of Trustees