Recipe corner: Doughnuts
- Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water, and let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy.
- In a large bowl, mix together the yeast mixture, milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening, and 2 cups of the flour. Mix for a few minutes at low speed, or stirring with a wooden spoon. Beat in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl. Knead for about 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place the dough into a greased bowl, and cover. Set in a warm place to rise until double. Dough is ready if you touch it, and the indention remains.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and gently roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a floured doughnut cutter. Let doughnuts sit out to rise again until double. Cover loosely with a cloth.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in hot water one tablespoon at a time until the icing is somewhat thin, but not watery. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large heavy skillet to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Slide doughnuts into the hot oil using a wide spatula. Turn doughnuts over as they rise to the surface. Fry doughnuts on each side until golden brown. Remove from hot oil, to drain on a wire rack. Dip doughnuts into the glaze while still hot, and set onto wire racks to drain off excess. Keep a cookie sheet or tray under racks for easier clean up.
- Ryanair, WizzAir “ready to fly to Armenia if departure tax is dropped”
- Ambassador: Russia respects events underway in Armenia
- Arshak Chopanyan and issues of ancient Armenian literature
- Nutritionist shares top 5 tips to lose weight
- President Sarkissian visits Megerian Carpet in Yerevan
- Recipe Corner: Layered Middle Eastern Mazza (or Salad)
- Tekeyan Cultural Association, Inc. Dr. Nubar Berberian Annual Awards
- Mkhitaryan meets with Armenian community in LA
- Iranian military aircraft spotted at Hama Airbase in Syria
- I wish 'Golden Apricot' further rotting: David Sahakyants
- Wetting is not mandatory, therefore, the authorities agreed to abandon this idea: Arpine Hovhannisyan
- Daron Acemoglu named MIT Institute Professor
- Arshak Chopanyan's activities as an ADL member
- Swiss scientists predict climate similar to Tashkent for Yerevan in 30 years
- Erdogan announced sending 100 people to Russia for learning how to work with S-400
- Armenian team won 5 medals at International Physics Olympiad
- EU foreign ministers to discuss situation around Iran
- 152 demonstrators detained in Paris
- Today is Armenian renowned writer, literary critic Arshak Chobanian's birthday
- In separate regions short-term rain and thunderstorm is predicted
- Deputy Armenian PM traveling to New York for UN Political Forum
- Armenia’s Health Ministry calls to refrain from swimming in some areas of Lake Sevan
- 5 foods that accelerate aging study
- Turkey dollar bonds extend falls on U.S. sanction worries: Reuters
- 90 ceasefire violations by Azerbaijan registered in past week