ADL Position Regarding Forthcoming Snap Elections in Armenia
The Diasporan and Armenian structures of the Armenian Democratic Liberal Party (ADL) have been observing every development of Armenia’s political scene. Simultaneously, the organization, through its worldwide membership and the broad network of its news outlets, has been promoting the fundamental wishes of the citizenry of Armenia regarding the irrevocable process of democratization.
Based on the above premises, all structures of the ADL have been committed to the idea of snap elections to bring to power a true legislative body representing genuinely all segments of society in Armenia. The vision is spearheaded by Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan and shared by all of us. To that effect, the ADL is ready to lend its support to the prime minister’s endeavors and cooperate fully with him to achieve that noble goal. It is time for Armenia to be endowed with a truly representative national assembly (parliament).
We fully welcome the initiative of the prime minister to begin a process that will lead to new elections. In this process, the prime minister tenders his resignation and during a waiting period of 7 + 7 days, as prescribed by the current constitution, the sitting parliament is dissolved, since no other candidate is anticipated for the position. Upon completion of this process, snap parliamentary elections will be held in mid-December to create the desired legislative body.
Despite the time limitations, the ADL hopes that the forthcoming elections will be held in the paramount spirit of cooperation, based on democratic and constitutional principles. The unity between Armenia, Artsakh and the diaspora will help the Armenian people confront the dangers extant in the region and move forward with determination to create a powerful homeland enjoying peace and economic prosperity.
In pursuit of the above vision, the ADL is ready to cooperate with true political forces and will participate in the elections, bearing its share of responsibility, with the help of its membership and friends.
Armenian Democratic Liberal Party
Supreme Council: Vartan Nazerian
Central Committee: Hagop Avedikian
October 17, 2018
- Today is the Armenian cinema founder Hamo Beknazarian’s birthday
- Primate Findikyan Refocuses Direction of Eastern Diocese, Assembly Covers Wide-ranging Issues
- Recipe Corner: Faloodeh or Paludeh ye Shirazi
- Trump may replace Green Card with "Build America" visa
- Syrian air defenses "activated over suspected Israeli airstrikes"
- Court orders release of ex-President Robert Kocharyan
- IMF OKs $250 mln stand-by arrangement for Armenia
- Risks and danger of high cholesterol levels
- Cadence Ensemble Performed Gomidas and Other Armenian Works in Washington (video)
- Europe Day events in Armenia will culminate in Yerevan on May 26
- Oil Prices Down
- Yerevan subway to operate on heightened mode today
- Vigil and Commemoration in Berlin
- Today is International Museum Day
- A Year after the Velvet Revolution
- In the daytime of May 17 the air temperature will increase by 1-2 degrees
- Armenia, Iraq joining forces to curb terrorists’ use of high techs
- Pashinyan intends to meet with Putin at SPIEF-2019
- Various events to be held in Matenadaran within Museum Day
- Chinese FM to visit Armenia
- Political prisoner Sevan Nisanyan granted Armenian citizenship two years after escaping Turkish prison
- US cuts Turkish steel tariffs by half to 25% : FT
- Belarusian cultural delegation visits Armenian Genocide Memorial in Yerevan
- Olympic future of boxing to be decided on May 22
- Armenian, Russian parliamentarians discuss bilateral military-political cooperation in Yerevan