Today Armenia marks Day of innocently convicted people's rights protection
June 14 was proclaimed the Day of protection of the rights of innocently convicted people in Armenia at state level, on the initiative of the ARF “Dashnaktsutyun” party.
This date was established in memory of tens of thousands of repressed Armenians during the years of the Bolshevik dictatorship, when the deportation of peoples was one of the forms of political repression in the USSR.
As early as 1939, Armenians were resettled from Azerbaijan to Kazakhstan, and in the 1940s they were massively evicted from the Crimea and from the territory of Soviet Armenia. At that time, tens of thousands of Armenians were deported, including the indigenous people of Armenia.
Among the victims of repression were such prominent cultural figures as the poet Yeghishe Charents, Axel Bakunts, the sons of the poet Hovhannes Tumanyan.
Various memorable and solemn events take place on this day.
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan's speech at 41st session of UN Human Rights Council
- President of Artsakh holds consultation on establishment of Investigation Committee
- Armenia Defense Ministry, Hi-Tech Cyber Security Center launch contest
- Opening of Charles Aznavour square in Chaville (PHOTOS)
- Three habits increasing risk of cancer
- On June 27-29 the air temperature will gradually go down by 3-4 degrees
- Henrikh Mkhitaryan’s transfer cost decreases
- Recipe Corner: Homemade Apricot Leather
- Booking.com defined the most hospitable countries of the world
- Serj Tankian supports sisters who killed abusive dad in self defense
- Yerevan Council of Elders extraordinary session kicked off (live)
- Red Wings offers passengers to visit Yerevan or Makhachkala instead of Georgia
- Georgian authorities stop Armenian passenger bus traveling from Russia for “transporting banned item”
- Bako Sahakyan participated in the presentation of case decisions collection of Artsakh Supreme Court
- Syrian military sends reinforcements to Hama for upcoming offensive
- 48.4 thousand people left Armenia for Russia in 2018
- Armenia supports Iran: Ambassador Tumanyan
- PM chairs regular Security Council session
- Minsk 2019: Arthur Hovhannisyan wins 1/8 final
- RA President named laureate of Prix de la Fondation 2019 at Crans Montana Forum
- OSCE to conduct monitoring at Artsakh-Azerbaijan border
- Georgian Airways offers passengers flights to Moscow via Yerevan
- White House confirmed exchange of letters between Trump and Kim Jong-un
- RA Parliament extraordinary session continues (live)
- President Sarkissian travels to Switzerland