Trump's decision is not a precedent for Artsakh issue but it creates platform for Armenia's diplomatic activity: expert
On Monday, March 25, the US President Donald Trump signed a declaration recognizing Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights. The document was signed during a meeting of the American leader with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Washington. In political circles it is noted that this recognition creates a precedent for the settlement of territorial disputes on the same legal grounds.
To the question of “Hay Dzayn” whether Armenia can also refer to this precedent in the settlement of the Karabakh conflict, and whether Azerbaijan will not manage to take the time and opportunity of this, regional expert Karen Veranyan said that history and bitter experience show that precedents are not applied in relation to other conflicts.
“For example, when the US recognized the independence of Kosovo, everyone said that this would serve as a precedent for other conflicts, including the Karabakh issue. Expert discussions were organized in order to move this problem into the legal field, and we saw that nothing happened”, - Veranyan noted.
"After Russia's recognition of the independence of Abkhazia and South Ossetia, also much has been said, for example, that this will create a precedent opportunity for some other conflicts. Parallels and forecasts were made in Armenian expert circles, however, we saw Russia had not taken any legal and political steps to advance the Artsakh issue.
The same applies to the Crimean issue. That is, from the point of view of international law, there are problems that are viewed ineffective as there are certain mechanisms of mutual trust, as well as there is application of double standards”, - he said.
- Armenian parliament approves 2018 budget implementation report
- On June 23-25 the air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- China President arrives in North Korea for first time in 14 years
- Boxer Hovhannes Bachkov to be Armenia’s flag-bearer at 2nd European Games inauguration ceremony
- Armenia uses space imaging to map Lake Sevan shore waste cleaning plan
- Pentagon to send Patriot systems, drones and surveillance planes to Middle East
- Samsung to reportedly launch Galaxy Note 10 on Aug. 7
- Constitutional Court President receives Russian Ambassador to Armenia
- YouTube, Universal team up to remaster old iconic music videos
- Iran’s IRGC force shoots down intruding US spy drone
- Trump confirms will meet with Russia’s Putin during G20 summit
- Armenian FM meets US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs in Washington D.C.
- Iran claims to have downed American UAV
- Celebrating Komitas’ 150th Anniversary in Washington
- On June 23-24 the air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees
- How Modern Literary Publication Is Being Revived in Armenia
- Hundreds Gather in Oakland to Honor Lifelong Athletic Visionary and Leader, Richard Demirjian
- Russian Envoy Warned After Meeting With Kocharyan
- Tehran says Iran, Russia will bolster economic cooperation
- Trump officially announced his decision to run for a second term
- NSS, FFA boss personally shows Vicente del Bosque around Yerevan
- Japanese authorities leave ticket resellers “unemployed”
- Talking about Peace, Worrying about War
- US National Security Adviser John Bolton to meet Armenian, Azerbaijani FMs in Washington D.C.
- Armenia included in Top 5 most delicious countries for Russians